Home » » I’d like to thank the Academy…

I’d like to thank the Academy…

My daughter was out of town this past weekend so I was on dog duty.  Sunday morning when I took Riker (named after Command Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation not the prison) out around 6:15 a.m. there was a lone goose sitting in the open park space right by our house.  In the early morning dark I couldn’t quite tell what it was until it slowly got up and started walking away from us.

Another walk at 8:30 a.m. revealed the goose more clearly and though he (she?) would move away from me and Riker whenever we came too close – he never flew away.  And it got me thinking.

You almost never see a goose alone.  You might see a pair in the spring during nesting season – but you rarely see one by himself.

That’s not true of resalers.  It’s not unusual for a single shopper to come into Jubilee Furniture – during our store hours which are Fridays from 1 to 8 and Saturdays from 9 to 4 – and take as much, or little, time as they need to scout out our inventory.

Customers arriving in twos and threes is also a regular occurrence – and though I like to interact with everyone – I especially like to connect with friends/couples who are out together on a leisurely shopping trip. 

A true gaggle of customers arriving together is less often seen though does happen when families – usually multiple generations – shop together and often results in a lot of furniture buying which we greatly appreciate!

And if you were in the market to buy furniture what might you find this week at Jubilee?  Excellent question.  What follows is SOME of what was donated this week – but remember we have 30,000 square feet of quality used furniture!

JFC 10-12-12 001JFC 10-12-12 002

nice loveseat by Rowe for $45; matching sleeper sofa for $125

JFC 10-12-12 003

fabulous retro side chair – some issues with fabric – priced %50

JFC 10-12-12 004

I love the clean lines of this wrought iron table with four chairs priced $95

JFC 10-12-12 005

gorgeous retro table 3 leaves, 6 chairs (only one has arms) and table pads all for $235

JFC 10-12-12 006JFC 10-12-12 007

more great wrought iron pieces – all painted a sunny yellow – one bouncy chair with cushions priced $25; side table with glass top for $20; regular side chair with cushions for $25; three person sofa with cushions for $65; coffee table with glass top for $15

JFC 10-12-12 008JFC 10-12-12 009

though the woods needs some work – this is a lovely drop leaf narrow table that would work well…in an entry, behind a sofa, just about anywhere! – priced $75

JFC 10-12-12 010JFC 10-12-12 011

sofa and loveseat by Simmons both in good condition – the sofa is priced $75; loveseat $50

JFC 10-12-12 012

lovely one piece china cabinet in great shape priced $95

JFC 10-12-12 013

neat old desk for $40

JFC 10-12-12 014JFC 10-12-12 015

dresser with one matching nightstand – dresser is $65; nightstand $30

JFC 10-12-12 016

antique dresser for $75 (not original hardware)

JFC 10-12-12 017JFC 10-12-12 018JFC 10-12-12 019JFC 10-12-12 020

though the wire supports have been bent – this is an original George Nelson bubble lamp and the shade is in perfect condition! – priced $75

Riker and I took another walk after church – around 12:30 p.m. – and the same goose was still in the field.  I was now officially worried and thoughts of how to approach him so I might carefully, lovingly, don’t ask me how but somehow get him into a large crate (maybe Riker’s dog crate?) and drive to wherever the rest of his flock/family were (how I would figure this out – I had no idea) and reunite them all in a glorious honking, flapping of wings – minus any nasty goose poop – and then a graceful soaring into the sky forming a perfect “V” as they winged their way into the gorgeous setting sun (even though they would be flying south) and maybe even capture it all on film so eventually it could become a major motion picture – went through my mind until Mr. Goose suddenly rose into the sky – with a single honk – and flew off. 

I ask you, dear reader, what now am I to do with my Oscar Academy Award acceptance speech?

Powered by Blogger.